Amazing Big Sur Happened

What would we do when all we have is now? Do we wait for amazing to happen ? Or we make amazing happen?

Big Sur Roadtrip, Summer 2020

Wednesday, we woke up late but the day was too beautiful to waste. So we hurriedly had coffee, took a shower, changed and grabbed left over food and drinks from our fridge.

As we drove out, I asked my wife, “Where are we going?” She replied with a question, “Where do you want to go?” I answered, “Well, I always wanted to see Bixby Bridge at Big Sur. We can have a beach picnic before that. A friend recommended we check out Garrapata State Park. It has scenic hike trails and it’s close to Bixby Bridge. Smiling she answered, “Then, that’s where we are going.”

Don’t overthink adventure. Be spontaneous. Be unpredictable. Just let it surprise you.

No plans. No expectations. No traffic tailgating. No stress. Most relaxing and inexpensive road trip this year. I just paid for gas.

“Wow! So beautiful,” sums up what I was seeing.

Big Sur is rugged, untamed, dramatic. Anywhere along it’s coastline is an exciting adventure. Does not matter if it’s a landmark or just a random spot .

Nature blessed and breathtaking, Big Sur will awaken your soul.

Garrapata State Park, Summer 2020

There’s nothing a cold beer, comfort food and a day at the beach could not fix.

Time stood still. For a moment, there’s just us and the beach. We forgot the pandemic. We forgot our worries. It felt good. We felt free.

Son wanted to play beach football. I tried my best to keep up. Mom was sub. Two against one and we still lost. Still felt like a winner seeing everyone so happy.

Spend time with your kids for as long as you can. They grow up fast. We can’t recreate moments that we already missed.

Time to meet Bixby Bridge. The fuss is all true. It was picture perfect incredible.

Son wondered, “What makes it so special? It’s just a bridge.” I explained, “Son, it’s the view around the bridge that makes it so special. It’s like no other.”

When we needed to feel alive and reconnect, we take a roadtrip.

We got home around 8:30 P.M. Did amazing happen? Beyond, from start to finish.

Related Links:

Discovering an unexpected wilderness on Wisconsin’s Ice Age Trail

It’s ‘all aboard’ again for these scenic train rides after closing

‘We are living in a different world’: Scenes from a drive across America

Want to travel to California? Not so fast.

Appreciate National Park’s Beauty with this 11 Photos

12 of the Prettiest Villages in Greece

How to Plan a Family Vacation Where Everyone Feels Safe During COVID-19

This entry was posted in Travel, writing and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

78 Responses to Amazing Big Sur Happened

Looks like a beautiful day spent! The views and scenery are breathtaking.

2. kagould17 says:

Time well spent. Love the views around every corner on this route. We once saw a California condor circling high overhead on a misty day. We all need more time spent in nature with a picnic and the ones we love. Thanks for sharing. Allan

3. Nature heals, doesn’t it? Great pictures and a great story. I like how both you and your wife still couldn’t out 🏈 your son! Road trips are awesome!

4. Some great scenery mate! Magical moments are best considered first for sure!!!

5. Shoes says:

Amazing, indeed! You guys are making it happen. Thanks for sharing – the blue (in water and sky) in those pictures is incredible and makes me miss the ocean.

• We were fortunate to go at a time there’s no traffic nor beach crowd at all. It was perfect Sunny & clear weather as well. Today was a different scene in Montara, Pacifica and Halfmoon Bay. It was scary packed like during Memorial weekend. We skipped the beach and just savor the ocean from afar away from people. I love the beach but not worth getting sick for. Thanks for the feedback and wishing you an amazing Summer.

6. Oh my gosh! I wish we could just zip over to the California coast! We took two road trips in the past couple of years on the coast. One down Highway 1 from Oregon. One up Highway 1 from San Diego. They were both amazing. I hope to go again. We had to cancel most of our vacation this spring. I decided I’m going to schedule more time off this fall, and as long as the earth doesn’t explode, we’ll head out on a roadtrip to somewhere. I don’t even care where. But…I hope there’s a beach in it somehow. These photos are so beautiful, my heart longs for the beach!

• Thank you. With COVID still around , it’s best to do local road trips . We cancelled outside trips as well, not worth getting sick or being stranded. Summer however needs to be enjoyed , new memories has to be made. As long as we stay safe, we can bring happiness & make fun experiences, & yes, preferably with a beach in it. Take care & best of Summer to you & your family. 🙏

7. Michelle says:

What a beautiful place to visit!

8. ourcrossings says:

O my goodness what a lovely place to explore and photograph! I love nothing more than dramatic and rugged coastal views and would love to visit California one day. Thanks for sharing and have a good day 😀 Aiva

9. Muralikrish says:

Beautiful place.👌

10. Big Sur, is one of the most beautiful places on earth, and I have seen many places over the globe, but have travelled to Big Sur numerable times, just because of it’s serenity and transmitting a very special way of peace and harmony.

11. Tausha J. says:

Thank you for sharing these amazing photos! I’ve never been to Big Sur but after seeing these, I may have to put it on my list of places to go!

12. The Guat says:

This is SO BEAUTIFUL! What a great day trip! Big Sur is always a nice stop and what a good way to recharge. The beach and the Great Outdoors are always so healing. Thanks for the pics!

• Beach and Outdoors does heals & never fails to bring happiness no matter how fleeting. We all need a place of escape just getaway from everything that’s happening around us. Thank you, & stay safe. Have a great Summer.

13. OMG!!!! I LOVE Big Sur!!! Can’t wait to take my beautiful man there! So happy You’re having such a wonderful time! How could You not? Cheers and Thank You! ❤️

14. mikalatte says:

Amazingly beautiful pix and stories. Brings a skip and uplifted spirit amidst the current bleakness. Thanks for the likes on the blog of a newbie. 🙂

15. My favorite spot along the Cali coastline!

16. jennydhuynh says:

Beautiful! On my list for this year or next

17. Definitely make amazing happen 🙂
    Your post is beautiful. My family, from Singapore, had a epic road trip on the Pacific Coast Highway. It was winter, a bit grey, so it’s so nice to see pictures of the same places but much bluer. — Amor 🙂

• Coastline California has moody weather happening on the same day. From Sunny Santa Cruz to Big Sur to foggy, grey Half moon Bay to San Francisco, even in Summer. All though are beautiful with promises of adventure unique for each place. Thanks.

18. Anthony Murphy says:

Love this man, going anywhere in the car with my wife and kids has long been my happy place.😊😊

19. What a great read! So important to get away from the havoc of everything right now and spend it with those you hold closest to your heart. Such a lovely post!

20. olivervasquezybarra says:

Oliver Vasquez Ybarra

21. Dragthepen says:

Absolutely beautiful.🥂

22. Welcome back to blogging, I missed your posts for some time. It sounds like you’ve moved from Texas to California, though not trying to be nosy. That beach looks serene, but the name Garrapata makes me want to scratch. 🙂

• I did. We moved in 2015. The dream was too strong to ignore. So, I applied for a new job, prayed over the rest. Left everything in Texas except 6 luggages and never looked back. The best adventures and surprises hasn’t stopped since then. California has given me & my family blessings money can’t buy. Truly grateful. Thanks for the feedback.

23. Beautiful photos! I can’t wait to revisit Cali. Your photos are definitely a pull 😀

24. cindy knoke says:

Big Sur is one of the most amazing places in the world.

25. Lorri says:

Big Sur is one of my favorite places to feel at one with nature and all of the elements. Bixby Bridge is beautiful, so stark against the landscape. Wonderful photos!

26. freya says:

Seeing these pictures reminded me of my adventures before pandemic. I hope this pandemic ends soon.

27. Jorge Medico says:

Definitely one of my favorite spots in California! Thanks for the post and the memories it brings back.

28. Your have a wonderful family and you spend wonderful times together!

29. Fomtriok says:

Wow! Your photos are stunning. Even though I am bad at coping with heat, I really want to see California. This makes me even more excited for the day I finally get to go there. / Best wishes from Sweden

30. It’s a beautiful part of the country. We hiked north of there a couple of years ago, and I enjoyed seeing the otters playing in the water below. I considered making a calendar out of the pictures I took. Such breathtaking scenery.

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )